Monday, April 24, 2006

New jobs, zones... and markets

Bad port gripes aside, I'm happy about the new jobs and areas since they've given the Silent Oil market a boost, as well as left other markets and guild camps open.

Rampant undercutting had dropped oils down to 30k or less per stack for weeks back in March, which made it more lucrative to either sell the ingredients on their own, or craft random batches of other alchemical items that sold at a fair profit (Mercury, Poison Potion, Hi-Potion, Firesand, Sleeping Potion) and salvo the AH.

The second night I logged in I noticed Silent Oil stacks were going for 60k. $_$ I had no hope of actually crafting any new batches since Giddeus had been overrun by Blue Mages, so I quickly sold the 3 of the 4 stacks I had for personal use. Before I'd noticed or even thought about the Silent Oil rush, though, I had camped the Bibiki Bay fishing guild (completely deserted in the new job rush) and cooked up 7 stacks of Poison Potion, which go for a steady 40k. Then I noticed there were only 4 people in Korroloka Tunnel, so I farmed up a few stacks of Slime Oil, which go for around 40-50k.

I like this expansion...

The reason for the gil-drive though -- other than opportunism -- was to make the final stretch to the Utsusemi:Ni price (between 720-760k; about 100k higher than when I'd left). I got the scroll yesterday, with about 200k left over. So that's done... on to my other checklist items: cap Great Axe, get last pieces of AF, get to 61 for LB4 quest. I tried to form a Kuftal skillup party to no avail. There were about 100 people in Jeuno, in contrast to 500+ players in the Alzhabi/Whitegate zones. Then I tried to form a level 60-61 EXP party with similar results, since everyone is level 10-20 now. I think I'll wait until the 30's get more crowded and try to exp my NIN to 37 (possibly tomorrow night).

Some friends of mine hopped on and decided to do the BLU quest, so I tagged along for the fun of it (I'm actually aiming to unlock and level PUP once I get more information about it). I'd already aquired a boarding pass by turning in a random BST testimony that I'd kept (for no apparent reason; here's to being a pack-rat). We bought the Sunsand on the AH for 2000 gil, got the Siren's Tear (had to unequip our weapons for this, not sure why), and skipped the Bloodstone (again not sure why; I was tired and didn't really care if I had to make a trip to Dangruf Wadi later).

Once I finally made it to the NPC in Whitesands who 'divines' fortunes, I had to waste a few minutes after my first attempt at answering his questions only resulted in a 1000 gil fee and a vague dismissal to 'go harvest' in the new zones. One of my friends, Les, was asked for the Bloodstone (doh!), and the other, Lee, got the same 1000 gil fee and no hint. On the second attempt, I checked Allakhazam and used the answers some players provided, but got the same results (and another 1000 gil fee ><), while Lee got a request for Sunsand (which he didn't have ... double-doh). Les Mog-warped to Jeuno to go hunt for the ??? in Dangruf Wadi, and Lee logged off since he was fallling asleep. While waiting for a Vanadiel day to pass, I read further and noticed people were getting different results with the same answers... So I decided it was either random, job-based, or day-based. I tried the exact same answers as the previous day and got a request for something blue from the banks a river (i.e. the Siren's Tear). Joy!

Traded it to the NPC. Nothing... Talked to the NPC, and he would say something along the lines of 'I can't charge you for my services'. It was late, I was dozing off, and there were no BLU on the LS to help me out, so I logged, assuming I'd probably have to wait another Vanadiel day & trade again.

I tried it this morning with no results when it dawned on me that I hadn't zoned after getting the request (duh). After this, the NPC still did nothing but stare blankly when I traded the item. So I spoke to him, and he started telling me to 'forget about what he said'. I almost hit the ceiling when I saw this until he gave me a response option to follow through on the quest. Once the CS ended, I spoke to him again and he instructed me to deliver the item to another NPC in Bhaflau Thickets.

Guess I'll be exploring that zone tonight, which I'm assuming will require Sneak and Invis in some areas until I find the NPC (and a careful avoidance of the True Sight imps I've been told about).

No comments: